This position targets an experienced research nurse clinician to enhance the patient’s research experience by protecting patients’ rights and welfare and preserving data integrity in a manner that is complementary to the clinical care pathway. The Nurse Clinician Lead will function as primary mentor to non-nurse coordinators as described below.
- Engage in horizontal integration with multiple entities to bring disparate services together to enhance the patient’s experience.
- Includes multidisciplinary teams from Emory School of Medicine, Morehouse School of Medicine, Grady Memorial Hospital, external Sponsors/Institutions. Examples of activities in this category: streamline procedures to improve enrollment, protocol compliance, patient satisfaction, sample collection, informed consent process, communication pathways among multidisciplinary teams, etc.
- Lead/advise clinical discussion with ancillary departments to advance multiple projects (i.e. advise IT staff on clinical variables and definitions relative to linking data across platforms, trouble shoot optimal methods to improve patient compliance with blood draws, collaborate with clinical nurse educators/perform training sessions to educate nursing staff of clinical research activities, identify key clinical terms for screening purposes and adverse event reporting for all studies, etc.
- Manage daily clinical research activities especially patient screening, implementation of the informed consent process, enrollment procedures, sample collection & processing, clinical SOP adherence, and task prioritization
- Mentor/coach research coordinators in assessing patients & families for research appropriateness, bedside nursing care management, understanding and recognizing clinical symptoms and/or factors affecting research participation
- Mentor/coach research coordinators in clinical research regulations/GCP guidelines, adverse event identification and reporting, protocol compliance issues, etc.
- Partner with investigators and administrative leadership to assess feasibility of new trial proposals (scientific goal, therapeutic benefit, target patient population, clinical resources, logistics)
- Provide nursing expertise to inform standard operating procedures in content, design, implementation, and adherence
- Opportunities for professional development: Clinical Research Coordinator Advisory Committee, Department of Surgery Clinical Research Management Committee, Institutional Review Board Committee member, Aspiring Leaders Program.
Career track: Clinical Research Job Family -> Clinical Research Nurse Supervisor -> Associate Director of Clinical Trials